Sunday, October 13, 2013

TOY NEWS FOR 10/13/2013 - MATTEL - MATTY COLLECTOR - GHOSTBUSTERS 30th ANNIVERSARY 2-PACKS

I was so excited when Mattel first announced that they'd be doing action figures from the Ghostbusters movie as it's one of my favorite films and certainly had been deserving of some well-made figures for a very long time.

I bought all the 6" and 12" figures because I wanted all the Ghostbusters stuff I could get my hands on, but, over time, I've begun to see these figures in a different light.

I mean, they were never "great" figures, but they were good enough. Now that my excitement has passed, I find myself slightly disappointed in them as a whole.

Again, they're not bad, but I see how much better they really could have been, and it disappoints me that they're not. Maybe I've been too spoiled by higher-end figures over they years, but if they had to be produced by a US toy company, the one that I really wish had the license was NECA.

The quality of the plastic would have been better, the sculpts and accessories would have been better and the head sculpts would have been way more accurate and realistic. In fact, what I think really disappoints me with Mattel's GB figures are the head sculpts. They're way too cartoonish and, if you really look at them, they're sculpted in different styles.

Hopefully, at some point, we'll get some really great GB figures to replace these "just okay" ones in the future.

In the meantime, however, Mattel is re-releasing all four figures, this time with removable backpacks (held on by straps) proton streams and figure stands. They will be sold in two packs. Once will be a Egon/Ray pack, the other Peter/Winston.

They're set to be released some time in 2014.



Packaging Mock-Up

No comments:

Post a Comment