Friday, May 16, 2014

TOY NEWS FOR 5/16/2014 - SDCC EXCLUSIVE - NECA - PACIFIC RIM 3-PACK

A few days ago I read that NECA would be doing a Pacific Rim 3-Pack exclusive for this year's SDCC.

While I know NECA is very much "repaint" crazy, and I wasn't expecting new sculpts or characters, this box set is a total disappointment.

They're calling it the "Ending Credits Jaeger" set. Meaning that they have been painted a gloss black to look like they did in the end credits of the film. To be honest, I find that pretty damned weak. They were just silly, bland CG designs meant to put a little "pizazz" into the ending credits. I really don't think I need to own figures based on that-- and I'm a crazy Pac Rim fan!

On the up side, the box for this set is beautiful and, left un-opend, would probably make a nice piece of memorabilia from the film.

The Jaegers also have glow in the dark eyes. What would have really put this 3-Pack into the "must have" category would have been if they added some lights to the box, giving the set a glow. (Mattel has done this with many of their SDCC box sets.)







This set will cost $60 at the convention.

No comments:

Post a Comment